Do you find yourself eating more cooling foods in the Summer?
Or even eating less filling meals all together?
Summer is typically filled with fresh fruit, popsicles, ice cream and more frozen foods.
It’s a great way to beat the heat and stay cool.
But not always the healthiest right?
I’ve got a delicious power smoothie recipe for you that will not only beat the heat. It will keep you “powered up”, satisfied, and protected with loads of antioxidants.
Antioxidants help our bodies and skin fight free radical damage. We are all exposed to free radicals every day in the air we breathe and the food we eat. Free radicals are highly reactive compounds that form when oxygen interacts with certain molecules found in our food and air. They steal electrons in a process called oxidation and damage cells.
Think of an apple after you cut it open. What does it begin to do? It browns. The free radicals are forming once the oxygen hits the fruit and begins to react with the molecules (oxidation). Much like the apple begins to age, so do our bodies and our skin. Antioxidants help fight the free radical damage in the same way a lemon slows down the browning process in the apple.
So eating and drinking foods that are high are antioxidants will help fight free radical damage.
Here are a few of those foods:
- Dark Berries
- Green Tea
- Kale and Collard Greens
Ok, enough of all the science stuff. Here’s your recipe to go kick some serious free radical bootie.
- 2 Cups of Almond Milk
- ¼ cup Silken Tofu ( you can use plain yogurt if you wish)
- ½- 1 cup Pomegranate Juice (depending on how thick you want it. Try to buy real unsweetened)
- ¼ - ½ cup blackberries/blueberries
- 1 scoop Vegan Vanilla Protein (if you wish)
- handful of ice
- Add Water if too thick
- Blend everything until smooth. You can also pre make these. Blend everything as normal and store in your fridge. Give it a shake, swirl or reblend before drinking.