This soup is light, refreshing, and absolutely delicious.
Soups are typically not consumed a lot in the Summer, but this one is light enough to enjoy, while still getting some gut friendly bone broth into your diet.
Tomatoes are also considered summer fruits. So they should be easy to find and in season.
This is not completely dairy free, but can be if you wanted to avoid the dairy. For the butter, you can sub in Earth Balance dairy free butter sticks.
Serve with a side of crispy french bread or almond flour crackers. Yum.
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 small carrots
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 28oz can tomatoes
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 T unsalted butter or Earth Balance butter
- fresh basil (optional)
- 1 cup real almond milk, full fat coconut milk, or creme fraiche
- Finely chop the onions, celery and carrots
- Heat the olive oil and saute the veggies until soft.
- Chop the garlic and add to the veggies, cooking a few minutes longer
- Pour in the tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, and broth.
- Allow to simmer slowly for about 20 min.
- Turn down the heat or off. Add butter and paprika. Allow to cool for a bit.
- Remove the bay leaf and transfer cooled soup to a blender. Or if you have an immersion blender, this works well here.
- Blend the soup to smooth or just a few chunks.
- Add in your optional milk and stir to blend.
- Top with some fresh basil and enjoy.